Friday 8 April 2016

End Of Life Care

Words are powerful. They contain power, they are the ultimate power. That is why we must be careful with the words we choose. Ultimately, the wrong words could bring about the destruction of the planet.
So I shouldn't have been surprised yesterday when the power of words caused me to cry out loud, in public. I was at our monthly Touchstones Creative Writing Group, this month's guest facilitator was the wonderful James Nash. We had written a few short pieces, what object would you rescue from your childhood house if it was burning down, what photograph brings back memories, what smell evokes childhood.
I decided to write a piece about photographs, in particular the photographs currently hanging in my mother-in-law's room in her care home. She is not very well at the moment, in fact she is under end of life care. The writing of the words was business as usual. When, as usual, we were asked to share our work the floodgates opened. I finished, stunned, the room was stunned, James was stunned.
The power of words can destroy you.

No comments:

Post a Comment